The Benefits of Brussels

Hey Pretty Mamas!

As a product of south Georgia southern cookin', I didn't eat a lot of healthy produce growing up.  While the vegetables may have been fresh, once they were buried in butter and bacon, their nutritional value was as negative as my opinion of them.  The only fruit we ate came in a pie or Jello flavor.  So, my interest in healthy foods suffered because of poor preparation.



Flash forward to college, and my new vegan friends are teaching me how to prepare fresh fruits and veggies so that I could actually taste them.  Once I did, I actually liked them.  I learned how to lightly steam string beans and bake sweet potatoes (sanz sour cream).  When I was told the next lesson was brussels sprouts, I had my doubts.  I mean, brussel sprouts were the bane of my, and every kid with taste buds', childhood.  They were so gross, grease couldn't even disguise their heinous flavor.  But now I practically live on them!  In fact, they were one of the few things I craved while pregnant.  And now that I'm breastfeeding, my baby's health is just as important.  Lucky for me, brussel sprouts are one of the best veggies you can eat!


Brussel sprouts, like most vegetables, are low in fat and calories.  However, they are also loaded with protein (2 cups of brussels have more protein than a small cheeseburger and infinitely less fat).  They are also chuck full of fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, folacin, potassium, and calcium, which all help protect against cancer, and are essential nutrients needed for your baby during pregnancy.








Here's how I cook them:


*Disclaimer: I believe that there is no exact measurements for cooking veggies, so chop a little extra when you're cooking, so you can taste throughout.


Ingredients:

Organic Brussel Sprouts
Earth Balance Vegetable Spread
Organic Garlic
Organic Onion
Pepper



Directions:


Cut the ends off the brussels sprouts, then cut them in half. Lightly steam the sprouts in a sauce pan.
Once they are steamed to your liking, add a little Earth Balance, onions and garlic and saute, adding pepper to taste. That's it!


Bon Appetit!



***Here's another idea from my cousin, Clay:

"Here's what I'll do, without recipe. Try to find a complete stalk of brussel sprouts (Whole Foods). Slice sprouts lengthwise. Toss lightly in olive oil & pine nuts, sprinkle with sea salt. Arrange sprouts on cookie sheet, bottom side down. Roast, checking every 5 minutes until tender. Don't overcook or undercook. Some recipes call for sprinkled grated cheese, but not me. Serve hot & enjoy! (another recipe....I also prefer to boil sprouts in salted water until tender. Always juicy & hot, this way.....)"